PhD Geography, University of Cambridge
MPhil Polar Studies, University of Cambridge
MA International Relations, University of Chicago
BSc Anthropology, University of Utah
- Antarctic tourism policy and management
- Brunei tourism
- climate change and tourism
- polar tourism policy
- rainforest tourism
- sustainable tourism
- tourism stakeholders
Membership of Professional Bodies/Subject Associations
- Cambridge Philosophical Society, Life Fellow
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society (FRGS)
- International Polar Tourism Research Network (IPTRN), Member
- The Antarctican Society, Member
- Brunei Nature Society, Member
- Member, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Graduate Studies Committee
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2011). Polar tourism development: Who benefits? In A. A. Grenier & D. Muller (Eds.), Polar tourism: A tool for regional development (pp. 23-60). Montreal: University of Quebec at Montreal (UQAM) Press. (book link)
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2011). Environmental monitoring at the largest research station in Antarctica. Discover UBD, 3, 9. (On-Line Version)
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2011). Thoreau’s impact on a young life. Thoreau Society Bulletin, Summer, 275, 10-11.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2011). Chapter 16: Conclusions. In P. T. Maher, E. J. Stewart & M. Luck (Eds.), Polar tourism: Human, environmental and governance dimensions (pp. 279-294). New York: Cognizant Communication Corporation.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2009). Cambio climático y turismo: El momento de reaccionar. (Climate change and tourism: time to react). In E. Fayos-Sola & J. Jafari (Eds.), Cambio climatico y turismo: Realidad y ficcion (Climate change and tourism: Reality or fiction) (pp. 270-271). Madrid: United Nations World Tourism Organization/ University of Valencia.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2008). Prospects for polar tourism - book review. Polar Record, 44(3), 282-284.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2007). Antarctic tourism policymaking: Current challenges and future prospects. In G. Triggs, & A. Riddell (Eds.), Antarctica: Legal and environmental challenges for the future (pp. 155-189). London: British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2006). Enhancing student employability through a team exercise on a visitor-attraction management module. In N. Becket, & P. Kemp (Eds.), Enhancing graduate employability in Business and Management, Hospitality, Leisure, Sport, Tourism (pp. 140-147). Newbury, Berks: Threshold Press Ltd.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2006). Reflections on my ERASMUS teaching exchange experience in Finland. The Higher Education Academy Hospitality Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network, Issue on Internationalisation. Link, 16, 14-16.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (2005). Enhancing student employability through a team exercise on a visitor-attraction management module. The Higher Education Academy Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network, Case study. Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network, November 2005. (Available here)
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1999). Selling the sea, book review. Annals of Tourism Research, 26(2), 476-478.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1995). The regulation of Antarctic tourism. In C. M. Hall, & M. E. Johnston (Eds.), Polar tourism: Tourism in the Arctic and Antarctic regions (pp. 179-215). Chichester: John Wiley and Sons.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1994). Tourism at Faraday Station: An Antarctic case study. Annals of Tourism Research, 21(2), 303-317. Special issue on Antarctic tourism.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1994). Antarctic tourism: An overview of 1992/93 season activity, recent developments, and emerging issues. Polar Record, 30(173), 105-116.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1993). Tourists in Antarctica: Numbers and trends. Tourism Management, 14(2), 142-146. Special issue on ecotourism.
Enzenbacher, D. J. (1992). Antarctic tourism and environmental concerns. Marine Pollution Bulletin, 25(9-12), 258-265. Special issue on environmental awareness in Antarctica.
Conferences, Symposia, Fora, Workshops and Recent Scholarship
- Brunei Business Forum 2012 “Unlocking Productivity, Fuelling Growth”, invitation only professional networking event organised by Asia Inc. Forum, Radisson Hotel, Bandar Seri Begawan, 22 November 2012
- Borneo Research Council 11th Biennial Conference, “Identities, Cultures, Environments”, paper presented “Borneo rain forest tourism: An exploratory case study of tour operations in Temburong District, Brunei Darussalam and the environmental parameters of these visits”, Chancellor Hall, University of Brunei Darussalam, 25-27 June 2012
- National Environment Conference 2012 organised by Asia Inc. Forum, themed “Conserving our Resources for a Sustainable Future”, invited guest, Grand Hall, The Empire Hotel and Country Club, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam, 20 June 2012
- Brunei Youth Council, Brunei+20: National Youth Seminar on Sustainable Development, 25-27 May 2012, workshop session themed “The Future We Want”, 25 May 2012, invited speaker, talk titled “What is Sustainable Development?”, Inspiring Hall, University of Brunei Darussalam
- Brunei Business Forum themed “Promising Opportunities, Sustainable Approaches”, invitation only event organised by Asia Inc. Forum, held at the Radisson Hotel, Bandar Seri Begawan, 15 September 2011
- “Visions of Brunei: A Cultural Free-to-All Visual Experience of Digital Hybrid Mural” UBD research project member and participant contributor in the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (project links here and here), Gadong, Brunei Darussalam, August 2011 - present
- National Environment Conference 2011 organised by Asia Inc. Forum, themed “Let’s Go Green”, invited panelist for afternoon session, Sutra Hall, The Rizqun International Hotel, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam, 8 June 2011
- Second ASEAN University Network Regional Forum on “University Social Responsibility & Sustainability (USR&S)”, invited delegate, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 8-11 May 2011
- ASEAN-Japan Centre conference on “Sustainable development of tourism destinations”, invited participant, Kiulap, Brunei Darussalam, 18 February 2011
- The Thoreau Society, 69th Annual Gathering, Henry David Thoreau and New England Transcendentalism: Then and now, Concord, Massachusetts 8-11 July 2010, Paper presented “Thoreau, Transcendentalism and one woman’s search for meaning at the South Pole”
- Kruger National Park, South Africa, meetings with park staff (guides, accommodation and reception), Lower Sabie Camp, July-August 2009
- South Africa Wine Tourism Conference “Share, innovate, inspire”, Cape Town, 21-22 July 2009
- International Polar Tourism Research Network (IPTRN) Polar Tourism: A tool for regional development Conference Kangiqsujuaq, Nunavik (Quebec) 21-25 August 2008, Invited guest speaker “Polar tourism development: Who benefits?”
- Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR) International Arctic Science Committee (ISAC) Open Science Conference St. Petersburg, Russia 8-11 July 2008, Paper presented at Session 5.3 Conservation, Tourism and Visitor Management - “Antarctic tourism and climate change: A coincidence of acceleration or the acceleration of coincidence?”
- U.S. Forest Service, Bitterroot National Forest volunteer (July-August 2007), helped develop a recreational user survey with the Conservation Education Coordinator, Hamilton, Montana
- Royal Geographical Society - Institute of British Geographers annual international conference, London, 1 September 2006, Paper presented at Session 19 Ecotourism and Environmental Sustainability, “Antarctic tour operators and the environment: Does experience matter?”
- Attendance as observer at the annual meeting of the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO), Washington, DC, April 2006
- Invitation to present commentary on Antarctic tourism at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law conference on “The Antarctic Treaty System: Legal and environmental issues” on 10 June 2006 in Edinburgh, preceding Antarctic Treaty Consultative Meeting (ATCM) XXIX
- PhD Thesis Examiner, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
- Institute of Tourist Guiding (London, United Kingdom), Member Qualifications Board
- Reviewer for international journals including Annals of Tourism Research, Antarctic Science, Journal of Geography in Higher Education, Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Polarforschung, Polar Geography, Polar Record and Tourism in Marine Environments
- Reviewer for academic textbook proposals
- Consultancy for the tourism industry
Exhibitions and Public Outreach
- Chief Adjudicator and Adjudicator for Brunei Shell Petroleum/University of Brunei Darussalam Annual Green Debate, “The Future of Energy”, UBD Campus, 28-29 January 2013
- Invited contribution to the Royal Geographical Society (RGS with the Institute of British Geographers) Antarctic research exhibition ‘With Scott to the Pole’ commemorating the centenary of Robert Falcon Scott’s expedition to the Geographic South Pole, images and text describing my Antarctic research forming part of a rolling PowerPoint display of scientific research contributions made by Fellows of the RGS showing in the exhibition space (the Pavilion), 16 January - 30 March 2012
Recent Professional Updating
- ESRC Seminar Series “Knowledges, resources and legal regimes: The new geopolitics of the Polar Regions”, University of Liverpool, 25 March 2010
- Royal Geographical Society event “Responsible tourism in Antarctica”, London, 12 September 2009
- Centre for Recording Achievement (CRA) and Association of Graduate Careers Advisory Services (AGCAS) Conference “The power of two: Career management and development - making the most of Personal Development Planning (PDP)”, University of Leicester, 15 July 2009
- Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning “Engaging with excellence, CETL (NI) dissemination day”, Queen's University Belfast, 21 April 2009
- Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network (Higher Education Academy) 2008 Annual Conference “Employer engagement - What does it mean for HLST education?”.
- Poster session - Lessons learned organizing a University Careers Fair: Top tips, things to avoid and why academics should attend, St. Anne's College, Oxford, 6 November 2008
- Bristol Balloon Fiesta, event market research volunteer, August 2008
- Bath Spa University Careers Fair, 17 April 2008, coordinator for this major university employability event with 28 exhibitors held in the Newton Park Students' Union, 10am -4pm
- Employability event, “Embedding employability in the curriculum - Sharing best practice”, one day poster session with plenary and break out groups, Bath Spa University, Newton Park Campus, 18 December 2007
- Tourism Skills Network South West, Tourism and Hospitality Executive Program series event “Marketing your business” Master Class, Exeter, 22 November 2007, attended as a participant with three final year students
- Intellectual Property Workshop with TLT Solicitors of Bristol, organized by the BSU Business Support Office, 12 November 2007
- “The national agenda for employability: Implications for HE policy and practice”, Workshop of The Higher Education Academy, London South Bank University, 28 June 2007
- “Voice Matters - your voice and how to use it”, Teaching and Learning Workshop with Caroline Osbourne, New College of Speech and Drama, Bath Spa University, 14 September 2006
- “Supervising postgraduate students: A development and discussion day for supervisors”, University of the West of England, Falfield, 18 July 2006
- 21st Annual PATH Conference “Profitable partnerships: Adding value through quality work placements”, Oxford, 15-16 June 2006
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law conference on “The Antarctic Treaty System: Legal and environmental issues”, 10 June 2006, University of Edinburgh
- International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators (IAATO) annual meeting, Washington, DC, April 2006, observer
- Association of Arctic Expedition Cruise Operators (AECO) meeting, Washington, DC, 26 April 2006, invited observer
- “How to win funds and influence people”, Professional training day at the University of the West of England, Bristol, 20 March 2006
- Fourth annual conference on Assessment by the Higher Education Academy, Hospitality, Leisure, Sport and Tourism Network, Oxford, September 2005
- European Union (EU) ERASMUS Teacher Mobility Scheme, Delivered an intensive undergraduate module on “The challenge of Antarctic tourism policymaking”, Department of Geography, University of Helsinki, March-April 2005
- International Geographical Congress delegate, Glasgow, 15-20 August 2004