His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan Negara Brunei Darussalam in his titah during the UBD 25th Anniversary Celebration in 2011 announced the introduction of The Chancellor’s Scholar UBD. The Chancellor’s Scholar is a prestigious scholarship awarded annually by Universiti Brunei Darussalam to the country’s most gifted and talented youths with an interest and passion in pursuing a career in academia. The holders of this scholarship will receive an exemplary education at first class universities worldwide reading for a Doctorate degree. Scholars of high calibre will be nurtured with personal development programmes, mentorship, as well as placements with academics at UBD and overseas institutions. Candidates will contribute as academics, researchers as well as future leaders, managers and planners of UBD The candidate will be given the exciting opportunity to be part of the university’s vision to become a world class university.
This prestigious scholarship is awarded to outstanding students who have met the following criteria:
- Citizen of Brunei Darussalam.
- Possess strong interest in an academic career.
- At least three (3) grade A’s in GCE ‘A’ Level Examination or at least three (3) Level 7’s in advance level modules with an overall score of 38 to 42 in International Baccalaureate (IB) or its equivalent
- At least credit C5 in Bahasa Melayu and English Language in GCE ‘O’ Level Examination or its equivalent
- Excellent record in extracurricular activities
- Sound personal qualities and character
- Outstanding leadership potential
- Not more than 28 years of age
- Successful in the selection process conducted by The Chancellor’s Scholar Working Committee
- Full-time study
- A Master's degree with Distinction or its equivalent from a university accredited by the Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam
- A First Class Honours Bachelor’s degree from a university accredited by the Government of His Majesty the Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam
- If the university concerned is not in top rankings, acceptance is subject to the Chancellor's Scholar Committee's consideration. Applicants may seek advice from UBD on places of study.
- Receives offer to pursue graduate study at a top university overseas in their overall standing or the subject area applied for, based on university rankings such as Times Higher Education Guide or QS World University Rankings (e.g. Top 5 in the United Kingdom, Top 10 in USA, Top 3 in Australia, Top 10 in Asia), OR acquires a supervisor who is a world renowned professor or expert. Apart from these criteria, applications will also be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Benefits and Allowance to Access to facilities at UBD
- Tuition fees.
- Air fares.
- Monthly subsistence allowance, travel allowance and accommodation allowance.
- Book allowance.
- Project allowance.
- Graduation robe.
- Transport of personal effects.
- Clothing allowance, settling allowance, study material allowance.
- Opportunity to attend personal and professional development programmes locally and overseas.
- Professional placements locally and overseas, including post-doctoral placement.
- Access to facilities at UBD
Eligible candidates are required to go through selection process that includes essay-writing, a presentation and an interview. The selection process may vary from time to time.
Application deadline for The Chancellor Scholar 2017/2018 is 30 June 2018. For further information, please contact:
The Chancellor’s Scholar Secretariat
2nd Floor, Administration Building
Universiti Brunei Darussalam
Tungku Link, Gadong BE 1410